Re: 7000 Orange County voters given bad ballots

From: Jeff Almeida <spud_at_spudzeppelin_dot_com>
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 15:07:45 CST

Also Sprach Popkin, Laird (WMG Corp):
>That being said, I don't think that this article showed any particular flaw
>of the eVoting system used -- any similar system would have to have
>registrars set up the equipment properly. Given that registrars will always
>be underpaid, well-meaning volunteers with insufficient training, this
>article tells me that we need to be careful to address the human issues, and
>it's not clear to me how to avoid this issue. Am I missing something?

Not to mention that the overwhelming majority of election volunteers I've met -- in
addition to being insufficiently trained, underpaid, and well-meaning, are typically
elderly ladies with little interest or acumen regarding computer technology. That's
a problem that will cure itself in 35-50 YEARS, but in the interim we need to have a
user-administration interface that someone who doesn't know a mouse from a microphone
(a la Mr. Scott in Star Trek IV) could use...! :)

jeff

Jeff D. "Spud (Zeppelin)" Almeida
Corinth, TX
spud@spudzeppelin.com