Re: 7000 Orange County voters given bad ballots

From: Alan Dechert <alan_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 10:54:31 CST

I liked this part the best:

> From what we have seen so far, we do not believe
> any of these instances where people voted in precincts
> they shouldn't have voted in would have affected any
> of the races," said Steve Rodermund, Orange County's
> registrar of voters.

This suggests a bold philosophy for election management that goes something
like this: "If, after we count the votes, the margins are wide--say
10%--then it doesn't matter if only a few percent of the votes were lost
because it can't make any difference. So there is no problem in these
cases. Nothing to worry about. Of course, if a race is close and we screw
up several percent of the vote, then we might have to re-vote--unless it's
just too much trouble to do that. In any case, there is no cause for
concern. We are handling these issues."

I think we have to face the reality that replacing the voting system is
going to mean replacing some of the baboons currently running things.
Actually, by saying "running things" I am being overly generous. A lot of
these registrars are just stooges for the vendors.

On the bright side, they're not all like that. We need to form alliances
with the good ones, like Freddie Oakley of Yolo County CA:

http://www.yoloelections.org/homepage/snews/SD1069109000

Alan

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20040309/ts_latimes/7000orangecountyvotersweregivenbadballots