Re: Copyright notice for demo source headers

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 21:35:58 CST

On Monday, March 8, 2004, at 09:14 PM, Alan Dechert wrote:
> Yes, Nathan, I have contacted Eben Moglen. His opinion on this would
> be
> important to consider but I (nor Mertz) have heard from him yet.
> In the mean time, we have several IP experts involved in the OVC
> project. I
> hope we don't burn too many CPU cycles over this--especially for the
> demo.

I -would- like to hear back from the FSF (which means Moglen, in
practical terms). But that doesn't seem to be happening for now.

However, we -do- have to make a decision on the copyright headers
-before- the demo. I myself am entirely happy to call it GPL rather
than EVMPL, including putting my own modest code contributions (and
somewhat less modest documentation/spec contributions) under GPL. The
extra clause was Doug's idea, though I think Arthur seconded it (I was
always more skeptical). But if we do that, we SHOULD NOT plan on
trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube to relicense under EVMPL
later (i.e. production).

FWIW, even though I doubt the effectiveness of Doug Jones' revision
history clause, I don't think it suffers the problem Nathan suggests.
Nathan observes that "only" our recourse against violators is to
prevent distribution of the code--but that is -exactly- the recourse we
desire: a vendor who doesn't obey proper documentation standard
shouldn't be trusted to distribute the code to installed voting
machines. We don't care about compelling them to add revision logs, we
care about stopping those non-audited machines from being used. That
said, the real problem is the one I pointed out: revision histories are
an insufficiently specific requirement to insure proper auditability.
I wouldn't mind much more detailed revision/audit specs, but those can
be OVC guidelines instead (and therefore revisable over time as
knowledge/laws evolve).

Yours, David...

-
mertz@ | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net! All the
gnosis | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy
.cx | alliance...ideas have nothing to lose but their chains. Unite