Re: Copyright notice for demo source headers

From: Nathan L. Adams <adamsn79_at_bellsouth_dot_net>
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 20:09:39 CST

On Monday 08 March 2004 04:15 pm, David Mertz wrote:
> One thing we -could- do to let OVC play with licenses later would be to
> ask developers to assign copyright to the OVC. Then the board actually
> could change terms later. But OVC hardly has the years of reputation
> in preserving Free Software that that FSF does--so asking that is a lot
> less of a slam-dunk.

Here is a working example of what you're suggesting:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/copyright-assignment.xml

It is a wise move from Gentoo's point of view, since it makes suing abusers
*much* easier. However, I think developers agree to it only because the
assignment *contract* promises that Gentoo won't switch to something non-GPL:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/assignment.txt

Nathan