Re: Copyright notice for demo source headers

From: Nathan L. Adams <adamsn79_at_bellsouth_dot_net>
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 20:03:39 CST

On Monday 08 March 2004 02:07 pm, David Mertz wrote:
> > Absent any objection, I guess I'll update the above URL to point to
> > http://evm2003.sourceforge.net/EVMPL.v1, which I've created just now.
>
> Typo (as usual): The (candidate) 1.1 license is at:
>
> http://evm2003.sourceforge.net/EVMPL.v1-1

I think we need to go pure GPL2 for both the demo and the productions
software. From the EVMPL:

"The intention of the creator of this code is to retain the freedom for
users to modify, use, and redistribute this code; but simultaneously to
insure that such modification as is used for the special purpose of
electoral voting systems further carries sufficient documentation to
allow audit of the code by certifying agencies."

So we're basically trying to solve an election fraud problem (did you modify
our code with nefarious intentions?) with a copyright solution (you can have
our code, but we expect your derivatives in return). It's like trying to saw
a board in half using a hammer. Furthermore, any license breach falls under
copyright law and not contract law. So disobeying the "EVMPL clause" means
you go to court, possibly get sued for money, and are forced to stop
distributing the code. It doesn't mean that you have to comply.

Going pure GPL2 will greatly simplify the copyright issue. Going EVMPL
confuses the copyright issue, and doesn't help the election fraud issue.

OK, so I'm not a lawyer either. But I am a lowly engineer who has to consider
this stuff daily in my work.

Alan: Did you contact Eben Moglen? He is the person who should be heavily
influencing (if not outright deciding) this issue.

Sincerely,

Nathan