Re: Copyright notice for demo source headers

From: Douglas W. Jones <jones_at_cs_dot_uiowa_dot_edu>
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 14:44:32 CST

On Mar 8, 2004, at 1:49 PM, David Mertz wrote:

> While I don't object to simply going pure-GPL from the start, it is
> not simple to try to apply a license change between demo and
> "production." It is EXTREMELY likely that copyrightable portions of
> the demo will be utilized in the production version as well.

Indeed, this could happen. If we want it to happen, then using
the using the OVC license would be a good idea. I actually
have doubts that it should be allowed to happen, because software
that's developed as an exploration of what could be done is
almost always worth discarding after you find what you ought
to have done.

> Even if the primary implementation code is not used (though parts of
> it probably will be), there are all kinds of ancillary files like XML
> documents, DTDs, Schemas, API documentation, data files, perhaps the
> sound samples, graphics used in the GUI or ballot printout, and
> probably others I forget now.

An extremely valuable point. All the files that constitute
specifications are indeed likely to be reused.

> Binding ourselves to a complete "clean room" environment for the
> production system is not a good idea--it means firing all the
> developers who worked on the demo, among other things.

There's a difference between housecleaning and the nuke-and-rebuild
approach to clean-room development. I advocate housecleaning.

                        Doug Jones
                        jones@cs.uiowa.edu