Copyright notice for demo source headers

From: Alan Dechert <alan_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 12:21:02 CST

I am purposely posting this on the voting-project list and not on the
ovc-demo-list. I don't want to distract the demo team too much with this
issue. We had a long discussion on licensing issue back in August of last
year.

Here is what Fred wrote to me. I don't think I'm the right person to answer
this.

     We need a header for the sources that states the
     explicit copyright. From what I've heard the
     implicit copyright (at least in the US) is too
     restrictive. The safe route is for it to be
     100% GPL compatible since we're working with GPL
     and LGPL code. If you can find consensus on the
     other list as to what we should put here it would
     save a lot of time. It's my impression (IANAL)
     that a GPL copyright for either the author or the
     writer would work fine for our purposes and
     shouldn't (especially now) be a point of contention.
     An explicit copyright is important. From what I
     understand implicit copyrights prevent the sort of
     copying that we need for these scripts and sources.
     These copyright notices need to be in place ASAP
     and I believe they are critical to the demo.

I am looking for a simple and definitive answer that we can all give a quick
stamp of approval. I don't want to get into a long debate.