Re: open-vote.org olive branch

From: Alan Dechert <alan_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 13:14:04 CST

David,

> From the site, it looks like Ritchie
> totally fails to get what is wrong with DREs; ...

True.

> ... but it would be nice if he would get rid of his
> little vanity project with a slightly confusingly
> similar name to OVC.

I don't see any harm in it and actually, so far, it has been to our
advantage.

The natural question any writer will ask any of these projects is, "what
other projects are there with similar objectives?" About 2 seconds of
research will find the OVC. We come up no 1 with a google search on "open
voting." If you try "open source voting" the first hit is the wired article
which also mentions the OVC.

Other natural questions to be asked:
-------

What engineers do you have on board?

What are your engineers doing?

Do you have any engineers that are recognized experts in security issues?

What software has your team developed so far?

Do you have a demo set up anywhere showing some of your software?

Have you incorporated?

Who are your officers?

Who is on your board of directors?

Do you have funding proposals submitted?

Have you raised any money?

Can you describe some of the ideas behind your system?

How will a reading impaired voter verify their vote with your system?

Name some of the top experts that have endorsed your work?

What is your plan to develop and transfer this technology?

Do you have lawyers on board that understand the intellectual property
issues?

... and so on and so on.

We have strong answers to all of these questions--and many more--in detail.

I don't know of any other project, including Ritchie's, that can say much
more than, "uh, not yet, we're thinking about that."

Few people understand how much work has already gone into the OVC project.
Comparing the OVC with some new projects helps make this clear.