Re: open-vote.org olive branch

From: Alan Dechert <alan_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 12:38:13 CST

Nathan,

> Has anyone contacted Scott Ritchie (the student who founded open-vote.org)
and
> offered him an olive branch from the OVC? We may disagree on some of the
> specific details of this guy's effort, but he is obviously the type of
person
> we want on our team.

I did contact Scott Ritchie--same day as the article came out. I gave him a
few words of encouragement and congratulations. He wrote back (Jan 22):

*****
Thank you for your letter Alan. I've created a policy
of keeping everyone who wishes fully informed about
the innermost details of the foundation and its status.
To that end, I'll be publishing regular status reports
and updates - I'll see to it that you receive them.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie
Director, Open Vote Foundation
*****

I haven't heard from him since.

> Perhaps we could persuade him to join us, partner with us, etc.?

Right. But right now he's a kid with a website that has no content. I have
a long list of people I want on board. I'd say he's on the list but
probably not in the top 100.

Some competition would actually be a good thing. I've heard of a few open
source voting software projects but I don't know of any that has gotten any
real traction (the OVC is just starting to move).

There are other people at UC Davis I am interested in getting on board.
FYI, one of the co-authors of the RABA Technologies report is a UC Davis CS
professor, Matt Bishop.

[A month ago, I posted info on this report and the NPR show about it ]

http://www.raba.com/text/press/TA_Report_AccuVote.pdf

Doug Jones was on NPR last Friday talking about it.

You can listen to it by going here:
http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1648406

Anyway, I contacted Matt Bishop and he joined the National Science
Foundation proposal our team submitted (lead by UCSC with Pat Mantey and
Arthur Keller) March 1.

I don't know how Scott Ritchie plans to get any institutional funding, but
it's almost impossible without academic engineers on board. We have many.

It's not easy getting this far. I don't mind seeing others try.