Re: Pork barrel critiques

From: Alan Dechert <alan_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 12:26:59 CST

Nathan,

> On Friday 05 March 2004 03:28 pm, Alan Dechert wrote:
> > It's getting hard to find icons with the requisite purity.
> >
> > Alan D.
>
> So I think we should look to ourselves or the group as a whole for any
> 'icons'. We are incredibly diverse, both politically and professionally.
The
> OVC's only political slant is to promote fair and accurate elections.
Diebolt
> received a large amount of deserved criticism for being staunch Republican
> supporters. We deserve criticism too if we start leaning towards the
> Democrats, Libertarians, Greens, or whoever. The support or lack of
support
> for the defense industry, the environment, or any other government project
> doesn't belong on this list. Lets make fair and accurate elections our
'icon'
> and try to rise above the *political* rhetoric of the DRE manufacturers.

I like your answer. In order for the OVC to be successful, yes, the OVC
should become an icon representing truth, justice, and the American way and
all that. But right now, our public profile is too small.

In thinking a bit more about it, maybe we could engage someone at a
prominent well respected university in the Palo Alto area. Even though UC
Berkeley is one of the greatest research institutions in the world (a lot of
people say "THE Greatest")and we certainly have some good contacts there, it
might be better to associate--at least for the demo--with a great research
institute that might be viewed as less politically biased.

I'll try to think of a prominent well-respected university in the Palo Alto
area and try to find someone there to be involved in the demo.