Re: Pork barrel critiques

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 13:28:44 CST

On Friday, March 5, 2004, at 01:38 PM, Alan Dechert wrote:
> I think a lot of the pork barrel charges are due to political
> grandstanding.
> But I wouldn't put studies of frog mating habits in the same category
> as the
> DoD $500 hammer.

Which of the two do you like more/less? I'm honestly asking, since
neither strikes me as proving what critics want them to.

I don't really think the DoD $500 hammer is waste narrowly (for
reasons similar to the toilet seat it may really cost that to
make)--it's the trillion dollar star wars boondoggle that the hammer is
part of that's the problem. What's wrong there is not inefficient
spending at the details, but rather wrong-headed political priorities
to do it in the first place.

As to the million dollar frog sex: That's 4 Ph.D. biologists engaged in
a three year study. Which seems exactly appropriate, actually.

> Also, keep in mind that while we have a lot of Ph.D s on the project,
> the
> intended audience for the demo is comprised of people with--for the
> most
> part--with much less than a Ph.D going for them.

I know. I just don't like to imply something that I wouldn't actually
endorse, even if the audience isn't smart enough to catch on to what
I'm doing. Free Software gets a lot of that negative insinuation from
its enemies (who can't outright say the implied accusations, since
they're flatly false); I don't want to play at a similar level.

-
mertz@ | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net! All the
gnosis | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy
.cx | alliance...ideas have nothing to lose but their chains. Unite