Re: GO for March Demo

From: Nathan L. Adams <adamsn79_at_bellsouth_dot_net>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 05:56:41 CST

On Friday 05 March 2004 03:29 am, Jan Karrman wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Alan Dechert wrote:
> > Originally, when I thought of doing the demo, I wanted to set up a DRE
> > (or some mock up of one) and smash it with a sledge hammer on television.
> > Arthur doesn't seem to think that's such a great idea. However, I think
> > we need some stunt other than just showing the system and explaining how
> > it works. There has to be some excuse for the TV cameras. If you have
> > some ideas on that, let's have them!
>
> There is a program on Swedish television where a guy evaluates various
> products and services. Typically they are bad or dangerous products.
> The program always ends with him throwing one of the checked items in
> a large trash bin. A bit less drastic perhaps.
>
> /Jan

I think throwing away a 'computer' is a bad idea. The general public might
confuse the vendor cruft with our demo.

I propose that we demonstrate how easy it is to steal a vote with a
computerized system that has no voter-verified paper trail. It shouldn't be
too hard to fork the demo software and create a version that *appears* to
correctly count the vote, but obviously lies when the tallies are committed.

Example:
Have the reporters take turns voting for either 'Cats' or 'Dogs'. We could
even have the machine display a running tally at the start that shows a 0
vote count for each choice (just like the Diebold machines). Challenge the
reporters to keep their own running tally. When it is time to show the final
vote, it should be close to reality but the Dogs should always win.

It would be good to distill all of Diebold's confidence building tricks out of
Avi's recent account, and emulate them in this 'bogus-demo':
http://www.avirubin.com/judge.html

Nathan
nathan@openvoting.org