Re: [OVC-demo-team] GO for March Demo

From: Alan Dechert <alan_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 00:40:39 CST

> > Anand - recent refactoring on the printed ballot
> >
> Sorry I forgot to mention Anand. Thanks again, Anand.

Also, while I'm at it, I want to say thanks to others that--while not
contributing code at this point--have contributed in other ways. Please let
me know if I miss anyone.

Cory Hamma (student of Arthur) recorded wav files for the Reading Impaired
Interface that Jan has done. Thanks a lot Cory!

Here are some people that helped to formulate the idea(s) of the demo and
moved the project along in a variety of ways:

Ed Cherlin first suggested a demo using Sourceforge and Python.

Arthur Keller has done more than anyone behind the scenes to move the
project forward.

Adrianne (Yu) Wang (student of Arthur) got the Sourceforge page set up and
did a lot of the early organizing.

Doug Jones gave a lot of good advice.

Matt Shomphe and Van Lindberg contributed to some of the early discussions.

Eric A. Smith helped recruit several contributors including Fred McLain

Matteo Giacomazzi has contributed ideas all along.

David Mertz has helped in many ways to make the project run, and has
clarified many issues.

Chris Schaefer contributed ideas and code for the tabulation demo.

Arnie Urken contributed ideas for the tabulation demo.

Charlie Stauss has been one of the main catalysts--he took the initiative to
get us on Slashdot which brought us 4,000 visitors to our web site and 8 new
volunteers. Two of those volunteers, Amit Sahai and Laird Popkin have turned
out to be major figures in the OVC.

Also, need to mention people like Karl Auerbach, Alex Burgel, Charles
Cleveland, Andrew Cleveland, Harlan Brothers, Jay Tefertiller, Paul Kostick,
Kurt Hyde, David Jefferson, Peter Maggs, Rick Gideon, and others that have
contributed to the overall project--not so much directly to the demo.

And.. again, while I'm at it, I want to list the people that signed up as
"Founding Members." If you're not sure what I'm talking about here, please
see our Bylaws and this post here:

http://gnosis.python-hosting.com/voting-project/January.2004/0049.html

OVC FOUNDING MEMBERS
-----------------------------
Laird Popkin
Chris Gates
Eric A. Smith
Karl Auerbach
David Mertz
Lori Dechert
Ed Cherlin
Rick Gideon
Arnie Urken
Kurt Hyde
Jeff Almeida
Matteo Giacomazzi
Fred McLain
------------------
I arrived at this going through my email. It's possible I overlooked a
request, so let me know if I accidentally left you out (no one requesting
Founding Members status was denied). Also, if you missed the announcement
and would like to be added, let me know.

Once I have what I think is a complete list of founding members, I will
submit the list at our next board meeting. We'll pass a resolution
designating our "Founding Members" and that will be it. No more Founding
members.

It's a little early to be patting ourselves on the back, but I do think
we've reached a major turning point. I think it's good to take inventory
and recognize who has done what.

--Alan Dechert