Re: Reduced Paper Ballot -- RPB

From: Charlie Strauss <cems_at_earthlink_dot_net>
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 08:22:14 CDT

When I talk to people I usually end up saying something like "the touch
screen portion is basically a glorified ballot printer that prints out
a completed ballot showing the voters choices".

The problem I've had is that if I try to make this any shorter, like
calling it a ballot printer, people think that its a blank ballot. and
if I say it prints completed ballots I then have to explain that there
are a couple other steps in the process too that regard how the ballots
are verified and counted.

OVC is part hardware and part process. So I think one phrase cant
easily cover both.

I think the reason people prefer the ballot MARKING phrase is that
implies the ballot is completed. Yet this brings up a different
incorrect image of a conventionally printed ballot that the machine
fills in rather than the production of the (reduced) summary ballot.

is "completed ballot printing system" too much of a mouthful? probably
for common use in speech but maybe not for legal use.

On Jun 18, 2004, at 11:32 PM, Arthur Keller wrote:

> At 8:35 PM -0400 6/18/04, David Mertz wrote:
>>>> Arthur suggested Paper Summary Ballot. We also discussed on the
>>>> phone some
>>>> issues with "computerized ballot marking system." I asked Doug
>>>> Jones to
>>>> comment but he may not be available until Monday.
>> I think it Alan reversed the two adjectives above in his earlier
>> note: "Summary Paper Ballot". But either way is fine. Let's just
>> have the word from on high (i.e. president Alan) which word order we
>> want to use, and I'll stick to it when I talk to reporters/experts.
> I prefer Paper Summary Ballot rather than Summary Paper Ballot. The
> order of the adjectival words matters.
>> FWIW, in talking to chief elections attorney for CT, Albert Wenge, I
>> corrected his description of OVC's design as a DRE. I proposed
>> calling it something like a "Ballot printing system"--which he picked
>> up on immediately. I'm happy to start saying "marking" rather than
>> "printing" if that's more the lingo. But either way, I think it
>> makes the point.
> I prefer printing, since the ballot is printed. Intuitively, I think
> of a ballot marking system as one that takes a pre-printed ballot form
> (bubbles or connect-the-lines), and the system fills in the bubbles or
> the lines.
> Best regards,
> Arthur
> --
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --------
> Arthur M. Keller, Ph.D., 3881 Corina Way, Palo Alto, CA 94303-4507
> tel +1(650)424-0202, fax +1(650)424-0424
= The content of this message, with the exception of any external
= quotations under fair use, are released to the Public Domain
Received on Wed Jun 30 23:17:20 2004

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Wed Jun 30 2004 - 23:17:30 CDT