Re: [OVC-discuss] Someone needs to send this to Shamos

From: David Jefferson <d_jefferson_at_yahoo_dot_com>
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 17:26:19 CDT

In case you are not aware, the State of California conducted parallel
testing in all DRE counties for about 4 or 5 elections in a row in the
Shelley and McPherson administrations. In that time only one
unexplained anomaly was found, although I never heard the details.

David

On Jul 19, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Charlie Strauss wrote:

> an interesting tale:
>
>
>
>> this is such a pure example of apparent election fraud it's kind of
>> breathtaking.
>>
>> "In Honduras, according to breaking Catalan newspaper reports
>> (translations available, USA Today mention), authorities have
>> seized 45 computers containing certified election results for a
>> constitutional election that never happened. The election had been
>> scheduled for June 28, but on that day the president, Manuel
>> Zelaya, was ousted. The 'certified' and detailed electronic records
>> of the non-existent election show Zelaya's side having won
>> overwhelmingly."
>>
>> http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/07/19/1646201/Computerized-Election-Results-With-No-Election?art_pos=3
>>
>> And a reminder to VVNMers. We should not be so concerned with
>> election fraud as the reason for our cause. What we should seek is
>> to increase public confidence in elections by removing things that
>> are not trustworthy or comprehendible to the voting public.
>> Voting should be transparent so the losers are sure they lost.
>>
>
>
> One should of course take such breaking news reports with a grain of
> salt till confirmed, one could imagine this being some sort of
> misinterpretation of the observations (e.g. maybe those were early
> voting ballots??)
>
> IN any case assuming the report is correct, it's critical contextual
> significane is thus:
>
> One of the big strawmen often raised by folks in favor of electronic
> voting is that there is this supposed panacea called "parallel
> testing" that is touted as being an invincible process of detecting
> rigged machines. The idea is that at random a machine will be
> chosen before the elections begin and pulled out of service, then
> the election workers will cast pretend votes on it all day long.
> then it's output checked for accuracy. This is called "parallel"
> testing because it's done in a time period parallel to a real
> election, supposedly to "fool" any date dependent software. It's
> not an awful idea and would indeed detect some kinds of naive
> electronic fraud. But the idea that this is remotely a solution is
> even more naive.
>
> Moreover, said proponents don't actually ever do this--- it's just a
> thought experiment. The real reason for that strawman argument is
> not that people would actually would do it, it's that since you
> could in principle do it, this keeps that bad guys at bay. Ha Ha
> Ha.
>
> So it's such a terrible irony then that the very first time in
> history that, effectively a different kind of parallel test did
> occur, that yep massive machine rigging is found!
>
> the parallel test in this case is: call an election. cancel it
> unexpectedly at the last possible second and impound the machines,
> test them for rigging.
>
> Anyone know Shamos's e-mail?
> _______________________________________________
> OVC-discuss mailing list
> OVC-discuss@listman.sonic.net
> http://lists.sonic.net/mailman/listinfo/ovc-discuss
> By sending email to the OVC-discuss list, you thereby agree to
> release the content of your posts to the Public Domain--with the
> exception of copyrighted material quoted according to fair use,
> including publicly archiving at http://gnosis.python-hosting.com/voting-project/

_______________________________________________
OVC-discuss mailing list
OVC-discuss@listman.sonic.net
http://lists.sonic.net/mailman/listinfo/ovc-discuss
By sending email to the OVC-discuss list, you thereby agree to release the content of your posts to the Public Domain--with the exception of copyrighted material quoted according to fair use, including publicly archiving at http://gnosis.python-hosting.com/voting-project/

==================================================================
= The content of this message, with the exception of any external
= quotations under fair use, are released to the Public Domain
==================================================================
Received on Fri Jul 31 23:17:04 2009

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri Jul 31 2009 - 23:17:04 CDT