RE: What certification governs non-DRE electroin c systems

From: Popkin, Laird (WMG Corp) <"Popkin,>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 10:45:51 CDT

Terminology question:

In talking with folks about the OVC system, I'm not sure that I have
consistent terminology. So I'm sending this email hoping that cleverer
people than I can suggest an "official" set of terminology for us to use. I
think that it's important that we create terms for what we're doing that are
as well understood as a DRE, in order to have people understand the
similarities and differences between our system and a DRE. I've been using
the following, collected from a random collection of articles, as the
generic terms for the components in the system (i.e. our equivalent of

DRE: Direct Recording Electronic, an electronic (i.e. touchscreen) system
that records votes into memory/RAM cards. Great for ensuring no overvotes,
alerting users to undervotes, can support blind users through speech
interface, etc.

VES: Vote Entry Station, an electronic (i.e. touchscreen) system that prints
human readable (i.e. paper) ballots. Great for ensuring no overvotes,
alerting users to undervotes, can support blind users through speech
interface, etc. (i.e. all of the advantages of DRE's, but with a physical
record of votes).

VVS: Vote Verification Station, an electronic system that reads a ballot
back so that voters, especially blind voters, can verify their ballots
without loss of privacy.

VTS: Vote Tabulation Station, a system that is used to tabulate all of the
ballots and produce the results for the polling station.

What do you think?

- LP

-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of Douglas
W. Jones
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: [voting-project] What certification governs non-DRE
electroinc systems

On Apr 5, 2004, at 12:21 AM, David Jefferson wrote:

> All voting systems for public election, whether or not they are DREs,
> require certification by the states they are used in. In each state
> some
> office or agency is empowered to do that certification, usually the
> Secretary of State.

this is correct. Note that voting system is usually interpreted
broadly to include all elements of the system, both high tech and

> There are NASED standards for every major kind of voting system.

Not quite. There are no standards specifically addressed to VVPT
systems or to non-DRE assistive technology for the handicapped.
This is a problem.

= The content of this message, with the exception of any external
= quotations under fair use, are released to the Public Domain
Received on Fri Apr 30 23:17:02 2004

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri Apr 30 2004 - 23:17:29 CDT