Copyright (c) 1999,2000 Gnosis Software, Inc. (http://www.gnosis.cx/), All rights reserved.
A number of popular approaches to "Open Source" licensing exist in the "Free Software" community. Each license is intended to fulfill certain political and philosophical goals of the creators of the software products licensed under its terms. This license has been created for the same purpose, subject to the specific goals of Gnosis Software.
In broad terms, the two most popular approaches to Open Source licensing are the BSD-style license and the GPL. In equally broad terms, the purpose of BSD-style licenses is to release code unencumbered by any obligations other than acknowledgment of the role of the original authors in the creation of derived works. The GPL, on the other hand, is not primarily about acknowledgment, but about obligating creators of derived works to themselves release their derived works as Open Source. The latter approach inherently places more restrictions upon authors of derived works than does the former.
Gnosis Software generally favors BSD-style licenses over GPL licensing. However, at the same time, Gnosis has a selfish interest in not releasing code under a license that would expressly advantage commercial competitors of Gnosis Software over itself. Therefore, Gnosis has added additional conditions to a BSD-style license, requiring that Gnosis itself will be provided full rights to the source code of derived works, while not attempting automatically to guarantee the general availability of such derived work.
This license is derived directly from the license of the Apache Group (which is, in turn, derived from the BSD license), with minor straightforward substitutions of names, and with the addition a few additional clauses.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice and the list of conditions contained under this "GNOSIS-L Terms" heading.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice and the list of conditions contained under this "GNOSIS-L Terms" heading in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. A redistributor of source code or binaries of software licensed under these GNOSIS-L terms, whether modified or unmodified, is not required to distribute the "Preamble" or "Waiver" sections of this license. However, should any different Preamble or Waiver be included, they must be clearly identified as originating with and obligating their actual author rather than Gnosis Software, Inc.
4. Should a redistributor of source code or binaries of software licensed under these GNOSIS-L terms, whether modified or unmodified, choose to provide any warranty of the software they distribute, all warranty obligations will belong solely with the creator of the warranty, and in no part with Gnosis Software, Inc.
5. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the following acknowledgment: "This product includes software developed by Gnosis Software, Inc. (http://www.gnosis.cx/)."
4. The names "Gnosis Software", "Daedalus Online", and "Ariadne" in the context of software training products, must not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without prior written permission.
5. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following acknowledgment: "This product includes software developed by Gnosis Software, Inc. (http://www.gnosis.cx/)."
6. Distributors of works derived from the source code released under these GNOSIS-L terms must provide all source code modifications and concise descriptions of the nature of such modifications to Gnosis Software, Inc.
7. Creators of derived works based on source code released under these GNOSIS-L terms must authorize Gnosis Software, Inc. for the unrestricted use of all source code additions or improvements they have made. Gnosis Software may, at will, choose to release such modifications and additions under GNOSIS-L, or any other, terms decided by Gnosis Software. Notwithstanding the requirement to allow unrestricted use of source code additions and improvements by Gnosis Software, a creator of derived works may require Gnosis Software, Inc. to include acknowledgment of said creator in the copyright notice of any works distributed by Gnosis Software, Inc. that incorporates these modifications.
8. Creators of derived works based on source code released under these GNOSIS-L terms are neither required to release, nor prohibited from releasing their derived works under this or any other license (including other Open Source license terms), except in regard to those obligations described in relation to Gnosis Software, Inc.
9. Distributors or creators of derived works based on the source code released under these GNOSIS-L terms are free to add any additional conditions to their license terms so long as these additions do not appear under the heading "GNOSIS License Terms" and do not contravene any obligations imposed under the heading "GNOSIS License Terms". For example, creators of derived works may impose the additional obligation for provision of later modifications to themselves, as well as to Gnosis Software. Should any condition under any other header conflict with any condition under the "GNOSIS License Terms" header, the condition under the latter header shall be determinative.
10. Creators of derived works based on the source code released under these GNOSIS-L terms are authorized to modify the copyright notice line solely to the extent of including their identity in a list of copyright holders. The name "Gnosis Software, Inc. (http://www.gnosis.cx/)" must always appear first in the list of copyright holders. Such a modification of copyright notice will serve solely as a claim to rights in the derived portions of the software, and never as a claim to the source code or binary form created directly by Gnosis Software, Inc.
11. Should any provision of this license be held unenforceable or invalid in any jurisdiction or under any statute, the remaining terms shall carry their full force and effect.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE GNOSIS SOFTWARE, INC. ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL GNOSIS SOFTWARE, INC. OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.